Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Delegate Everything Under the Sun

Sometimes we hold onto all of the work we need to do because we don't trust the people to whom we should give it. How often do you think that it would "just be easier to do it myself" instead of delegating?


"So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless." (Ecclesiastes 2:17-19, NIV)


We can really begin to hate life because of our workload. Not sharing our work with others causes us to be overloaded and them to be unfulfilled. How can you trust the next generation of leaders if you give all of your effort and skill to your tasks, instead of giving some of your effort and skill toward developing others? Developing leaders is a creative act that requires communication. Find trustworthy people who are good at and passionate about things that you look upon as anxious striving. Share your ideas with them, and ask for their help. Listen to their solutions, and equip them to make those solutions reality. Give feedback throughout the process. Focus on building into them the skills they will need to become leaders themselves.


"A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?" (Ecclesiastes 2:24, NIV)


The great part about delegation is that you get more creative solutions than if you tried to do everything yourself. Delegation is hard work--it doesn't make your job easier--but it can make the results so much more satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment